News

You are here

July 24, 2017

Last week FIA confirmed the introduction of the Halo system for use in 2018 FIA Formula One World Championship. Let us recall the context of this process started several years ago. Safety in motorsport is a paramount concern for the FIA and while great strides have been made in many areas of motor sport, head protection in single-seater competition has been an area of concern for many years. Motor sport by its nature involves risk but it is the mission of the FIA, as the sport’s governing body, to continually strive to minimise that risk through the constant pursuit of greater safety on...

July 21, 2017

Following Wednesday's confirmation that Formula 1's "halo" cockpit protection device will become mandatory in 2018, IndyCar competition president Jay Frye provided an update on where the American open-wheel series stands with the shield-like device it's preparing for the Dallara DW12 chassis. "We've been quietly working on applications for the last year and a half, and feel good at where we're at with progress," Frye told RACER. "We're also happy with the options we'll present and will have something on a car to test between now and the end of the year." The device, which is...

July 21, 2017

The FIA will introduce the Halo to Formula One next year to improve driver safety. But how big a step forward does the controversial design offer? The obvious difference between Halo and the competing Shield design has prompted questions over just how much safer it will make drivers. While the rejected Shield design placed a screen in front of the drivers to deflect all types of debris, Halo is designed specifically to protection against cockpit intrusion by heavy pieces of debris and other objects. “The Halo is there principally to look into the way drivers have been hit by wheels,”...

July 20, 2017

Formula 1's Grand Prix Drivers' Association has backed the FIA's decision to push ahead with the halo cockpit protection device for 2018 despite a fan backlash and team opposition. It is understood only one team supported the use of the halo next season when it was discussed in Wednesday's meeting of F1's Strategy Group, with the FIA using its safety grounds veto to insist it was adopted. It has been known for some time that teams and some drivers were against it on visual grounds. But the FIA felt it could not delay the introduction of cockpit head protection any longer, especially...

July 20, 2017

Formula 1’s decision to introduce the halo cockpit protection device as from next year is a mistake, according to former world champion Niki Lauda. The Austrian, who is non-executive chairman of world champions Mercedes, told Auto, Motor und Sport on that he recognised safety had to be improved where possible. However a convincing solution had yet to be found to protect drivers’ heads from debris. “We tested the Halo, the Red Bull Aeroscreen and Ferrari’s Shield as a cockpit protection. None has convinced 100 percent. You have to make the right decision in such a situation. The halo is...

July 19, 2017

With the Verizon IndyCar Series a week away from its first scheduled test of its new 2018 universal aero kit at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, Ryan Hunter-Reay is pleased with the car’s near final renderings and potential “shield” addition. The 36-year-old American, the 2012 series and 2014 Indianapolis 500 champion, has been a proponent of enhanced cockpit safety for some time and looks forward to seeing how the series gets on with its initial tests over the next couple months. “I’ve only seen the preliminary mockups, but I think it’s heading in the right direction,” Hunter-...

July 19, 2017

The Halo is coming to Formula 1 in 2018, having been confirmed at Wednesday’s F1 Strategy Group meeting. This brings the first level of additional frontal cockpit protection to being after several years of discussions and a couple years of testing itself. As of August last year, the idea to introduce the Halo was delayed until 2018 at the earliest for a full introduction. Here was the statement from the FIA: “Following the unanimous agreement of the Strategy Group, in July 2016, to introduce additional frontal protection for Formula One and the repeated support from the drivers, the...

July 17, 2017

A crash victim’s family has said that they hope a fatal accident inquiry into the deaths of four motorsport fans at two separate events will lead to greater spectator safety at car rallies. An official probe will start today at Edinburgh Sheriff Court to examine the death of 50-year-old Joy Robson at the Snowman Rally in Inverness in 2013, as well as those of Iain Provan, 64, Elizabeth Allan, 63, and Len Stern, 71, at the Jim Clark Rally in the Scottish Borders the following year. It represents the first time one inquiry is held into deaths which occurred in different parts of Scotland....

July 14, 2017

Romain Grosjean says he remains against additional cockpit protection coming into Formula 1, calling shield device "as bad as the halo" following its first public test. Sebastian Vettel completed one lap at the start of FP1 at Silverstone with the shield attached to his Ferrari, but he abandoned plans to complete further running with it because it made him feel dizzy. Grosjean said the design looks no better than the halo, which he did not like when he tried it in 2016. "I've made myself clear since the beginning: we don't need anything," the Haas driver said at...

July 13, 2017

Sebastian Vettel will be the first man to trial the Shield cockpit protection device in opening practice for the British Grand Prix. Last week the FIA revealed the first concept images of the latest device being trialled for implantation in 2018. Motorsport's governing body has been pushing for some form of cockpit protection since the death of Justin Wilson in 2015, caused when he was hit by a flying piece of debris in an IndyCar race. The Shield has emerged as the FIA's favored design, replacing the controversial Halo tested extensively in 2016, as well as the Aeroscreen Red Bull...

Pages

Make A Monthly Donation

  • Other: $

DONATE NOW

Pay tribute to the memory of someone special by making a memorial donation. The motorsport world is as thrilling as it is dangerous and sometimes even the best drivers, marshals and fans get taken from us too soon. Honor a loved one with your contribution and help fund our safety-related programs in their name. Click Here.